Dancing Around Philly

It’s funny how things just…happen. One night, I was casually mentioning that I was interested in working with nonprofit organizations. Next thing I know, I am spending every Saturday morning in Southwest Philly, volunteering. Yes, you read right. Every Saturday (…well, unless it was a holiday break, which in that case, I would try to head back to good ol’ Florida).

It all started when I attended a friend’s birthday dinner, along with her parents. The night had been going well, and we were just getting to the cake when it happened. Wharton was brought into the conversation, where I interjected, “I’m not interested in finance; I’m interested in the nonprofit sector,” not thinking much of it. Usually, people are surprised about my intended career path, but the surprise soon wears off. It always did.

Not this time. Instead, my friend’s mother took me up on my statement. She enlisted me as a volunteer for a local nonprofit organization here in Philadelphia – Evelyn Graves Drama Productions.

So, how do I spend my Saturdays? Well, I teach Philadelphia how to dance, working with local legend Dr. Evelyn Graves. Now, I do not claim to be a professional in any way. I started dancing through my church when I was younger and then gradually enrolled into professional dance classes. With my students, ranging from 5 to over 50 years old, we explore many different styles, from ballet to liturgical as well as hip-hop (a summer favorite!).  This year’s performing arts theme is “Cultures around the World,” so not only are my students dancing, but we are also learning how people around the world express themselves via the same art.

Based on my short time here, it can be easy to get swept up in this microcosm called “college”—full of professors, students, exams, with social events and extracurriculars sprinkled in between. It is easy to overlook the world outside of the University and Center City from time to time. However, I’m grateful for the opportunity to experience Philadelphia on a different level. After all, Philly is not only where I attend college, but it is my new home, my new community.

The feeling of accomplishment, especially academically, is like no other, but the feeling of watching your students achieve their goals and conquer their challenges is one of kind. These experiences do cost me my Saturday mornings. However, I am able to make a difference in the lives of the people in my new community—and that is priceless.

This entry was posted in Campus, Philadelphia, Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.

University of Pennsylvania Logo
Copyright © 2014 The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania